A fortress city on dramatic sandstone cliffs, its old town riddled with tunnels and split by a deep green gorge.
In 963 a count named Siegfried swapped some land for a crag above the Alzette river and raised a small castle he called Lucilinburhuc — "little fortress" — the seed of both the city and the country's name. Over the next 900 years France, Spain, Austria and Prussia turned the rock into one of Europe's mightiest strongholds, the "Gibraltar of the North," honeycombed with tunnels. When the great powers neutralized Luxembourg in 1867, the walls came down, leaving green ravines behind. Today the UNESCO-listed old town of about 138,000 people (2025) wraps a dramatic gorge.
The city began with a bargain and a fairy tale. In 963 Count Siegfried traded away some land to gain a rocky spur called the Bock, where a crumbling Roman-era fort still stood, and there he built his "little fortress." Legend says Siegfried also gained a wife: Melusina, a water spirit who agreed to marry him on one condition — that he never disturb her on Saturdays. For years he kept his word, until curiosity won and he spied her in her bath, half woman, half fish. She cried out and vanished into the rock of the Bock. Luxembourgers still say she is down there, surfacing once every seven years, and that the city's fate is bound to hers.
For the next nine centuries the crag was too valuable to leave in peace. Burgundians, Spanish Habsburgs, the French engineer Vauban — Louis XIV's master fort-builder — Austrians and Prussians each dug deeper, until the cliffs were riddled with 23 kilometres of tunnels, the casemates, where thousands of soldiers, horses and workshops could shelter. One early ruler became a legend of his own: John the Blind, count of Luxembourg and king of Bohemia, who went blind yet had his knights lead him into the Battle of Crécy in 1346, where he died sword in hand. He had already given the city its great late-summer funfair, the Schueberfouer, in 1340; it still fills the Glacis field every August.
The guns fell silent almost by accident. In 1867 the European powers agreed to make Luxembourg neutral and tear the fortress down; sixteen years of demolition turned ramparts into leafy walkways and the Pétrusse gorge into a park. What the visitor meets today is that softened fortress: the Corniche path along the old walls, called "Europe's most beautiful balcony"; the golden "Gëlle Fra" war memorial the Nazis toppled and Luxembourgers hid and restored; and the Grund, the old riverside quarter far below, reached by a lift down through the cliff.
The making of Luxembourg City
The Bock & casemates
The clifftop cradle of the city — Count Siegfried's 963 castle site, honeycombed with kilometres of tunnels carved for its soldiers.

The Grund
The old riverside quarter deep in the gorge, a cluster of stone houses and cafés along the Alzette, reached by a lift through the rock.
.jpg?width=800)
Adolphe Bridge
A graceful stone arch of 1903 leaping the Pétrusse valley — briefly the largest in the world — linking the old town to the modern city.
.jpg?width=800)
The Gëlle Fra
The "Golden Lady," a WWI memorial the Nazis tore down in 1940; its gilded figure was hidden for decades and raised again in 1985.
John the Blind
Count of Luxembourg and king of Bohemia who, blind, charged to his death at Crécy in 1346 — and founded the city's funfair six years earlier.
The Schueberfouer
The grand funfair John the Blind started in 1340 — still filling the Glacis field with rides, stalls and fried gromperekichelcher each August.



.jpg?width=800)